Monday, October 5, 2009

Still On Top!

Top is all glued up. Also figured out how to attach it to the frame of the bookcase to allow for some modest expansion and contraction. Should not be much since the whole thing is frame and panel construction. Made up the necessary little blocks, a whole day of rather fussy work.

The top frame is partially shellaced, needs a couple more coats.

Have finally started to turn my attention to the shelves.

Bought some 3/4" baltic birch plywood from Windsor Plywood here in town. It was pretty crappy. I should have looked more closely at it before I bought it, it was probably made in China. At least they will cut it for you, unlike PJ White. And I must add that they did about 6 cuts for me for free. So they are good guys. Too bad their product is not!

I ordered a veneer bag and kit from Joe Woodworker's web site. Looks like a nice kit, but not impressed with his shipping charges to Canada. Some assembly will be required when it arrives.

Also got some good tips from Nick Nelson, an IP graduate, about how to do the baked on edges and dealing with some notches that I'll need to make in the shelves.

Onward and upward! (Well actually downward, from the top down to the shelves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment