Friday, May 14, 2021

Not a Cherry on Top!

 As mentioned in my last post I plan to use this slab as my top.


 

Although sold to me as rosewood I am not entirely sure what it really is. In any case I think it'll make a fine top for the cherry base. It does have cracks coming in from each end. These are too long to be entirely cut out, so butterfly keys it is.

Naturally my first instinct was to do a mock up. I used some locust and beech to practice with. I was pleased with my double-clamp method I devised to make up the keys, although the fit was average at best.



Next was to choose what wood to use for the final butterflies. I wanted something a bit darker than the top. It was fun to dig up and look through all these exotic woods. 



I decided on three keys at each end. My fancy double-clamp key cutting method that worked great on the beech did not work here, so cutting these out was a bit more tedious. 



The perilous task of cutting the keys in the slab was next. I first did a test on some of the end that would be cut off anyways. 


I quickly realized that freehand routing was NOT the way to go! Can't see what I am doing. I even ordered some clear plexiglass and made up a new base but that did not really help. Forstner bit and chisel it shall be.


It was too stressful so I spent some time cutting off the ends of the slab and then cleaning up the end grain. Getting that spokeshave sharpened just right, wow what a difference!

 


There was no way to avoid cutting the keys, so I forged ahead. The workmanship of risk.


Along the way I decided it was well past time to replace my Forstner bits that I paid $2 each for. I bought some nice German made ones and they are superb. Chip clearance is key!

Hopefully the next post I will have the keys in the slab.





No comments:

Post a Comment