Monday, January 24, 2022

More Box

 Well I got all my plys glued up. Then I cut them apart and embedded some arbutus pieces in each, before I glued the veneers on. You will see why below. Got the inner and outer veneers applied.

 


I applied several layers of shellac to the inside faces. The outside will be done later. 



Glued the box up.

 


 I cut away the edges to apply ebony trim.




And sawed it in half to create the base and the lid! That was scary to do!




Where I sawed the box apart is where I had previously glued in the arbutus pieces. This is so that the edges of the ply do not show. 


I have a hinge saga and I have not even installed the hinges yet! I ordered the Brusso Quadrant hinges from Lee Valley a while ago. They arrived and I started thinking about them some more, I was checking on line and realized Brusso has a router jig to help with the install of these. So I ordered the jig. When it arrived I read the instructions and realized I needed a collar and a couple router bits in sizes I don't have. Sigh. So I was about to order these when I also realized that my router is actually a laminate trimmer and that it cannot fit anything other than a 1/4" router bit. Double sigh. I am going to try and borrow a router when the bits finally arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment