Sunday, December 12, 2010

Slab Table Travails

After I had the two slabs flattened I had to figure out how to trim off the ends. I wound up using the Hammond Glider with its sliding table. I simply raised the blade way up, held the slabs in place and slid the table past the blade. Of course I could only take about 1/8" on each pass, but it worked better than I imagined!

After that there was a crushing disappointment when I realized that the width of the boards where they come together was about 3" different. And that the combined shape looked like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

I considered various other arrangements, including configurations that I call O,U, and S.

Although I am kind of fond of U, I'm pretty sure that my wife would allow any of these into the basement rec room, never mind out of it! Yet another deadend project it seems for now.

Meanwhile, I loaded up a bunch more slabs into the kiln. Quite a mixed batch, with a preponderance of nicely coloured maple.

Got one more day of milling in. Finished off an elm slab that I had started 6 weeks ago with the 60" bar. I trimmed the width down so it would fit with my 36" bar. Unfortunately I hit an embedded rock on the second cut and damaged a chain. I had a spare chain and couple helpers including a first timer, we peeled five slabs off it.

I took two slabs home, I was mostly interested in the spalted non-crotch end of the slabs, and in fact if I was on my own would have cut the log in half and not bothered with the crotchy end. But the two other liked that end, so we did the whole thing. I can always cut out the parts I like later, whereas it is hard to add length back in later!!




3 comments:

  1. I realy like/anjoy your milling posts! I would love to have the chance you have of having acces to wood like that!!
    Thanky ou for sharing.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,
    Great posts. I have just recently started chainsaw milling with a Stihl 660 and alaskan. I'm located in Ohio. Took 6 weeks of claases (two weeks X 3 yrs) with RVN at Rosewood Studio. Great guy. Look forward to catching up on your older post.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert is a super guy and a wonderful craftsman, no doubt. Taking classes from him made a huge difference in my work.

    Glad to hear you are getting into milling. Lots of great hardwoods in Ohio. The best forum on line for milling is the arboristsite, they have a forum dedicated to milling.

    Look around to the city (and city crews) as well as local arborists, tree trimmers, private zoo/park operators, etc to find logs.

    ReplyDelete