I have been focussing on clearing the table of a few small projects before I dive into the Hammond Glider resto.
First up I was able to get the 12" Rockwell bandsaw project finished. The saw was in pretty good shape for its age, other than a bit of surface rust and a missing part, and the motor needed mounting. Here is the saw before:
A big push one full day got most of the resto work done. I took the bandsaw table and guide assemblies apart, cleaned everything, and put it all back together. I didn't bother replacing the bearings or the tires on it. I had to get a new upper thrust bearing assembly made at a local machine shop.
I cleaned the rust off the table by first scraping it off with a razor blade, brushing it with a brass wheel chucked in an electric drill, spraying it with wd40 and sanding it with 400 grit in an ROS, then cleaning and waxing with carnuba wax. Came up pretty nice I think.
The stand is of elm that I harvested, the mobile base is of purpleheart that I originally thought I would use on a cabinet, that didn't happen so now it's a mobile base. I made these up some months ago, they were not part of the one day resto!
Still need to fashion some kind of cover for the exposed end of the motor shaft, and to add a dust collection port to it. Someday.
Meanwhile I also went to a friend of a friend's place up the coast with my chainsaw mill, he had a 4 foot diameter yellow cedar butt that was 6' long. It was originally from Haida Gwaii, and had been quartered so it was easier to manage. We got about 25 nice slabs out of it, mostly quarter sawn with beautiful tight old growth grain. I brought home five gorgeous pieces about 2" thick.
17 hours ago