Saturday, September 26, 2009

Top This!

Well I have made some modest progress in the past couple of weeks, mostly relating to the top of the cabinet. Unlike the original design, I decided to make the top a frame and panel as well.

I got the panel cut to size, the edged rabetted, then the whole thing polished up and waxed. The frame is 3/4 glued up, as well as having had a bevel put on the front and the two sides. The rest of the panels in the cabinet are not rabetted, but I did so on the top so that items placed on the top will not sit below the front frame piece.

I really just need to get the final fitting done on the fourth piece of the panel, and then mount the whole piece. May happen tomorrow if all goes well.

I was already going over my veneer for the five shelves last night to figure out which pieces were 'worthy' of being top pieces and which were going to go on the bottom! I think one piece of the 5x5 Baltic birch ply will be enough to get my five shelves out of, with an extra to boot. Will also need to acquire a veneer press.

No comments:

Post a Comment