Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Elm Milling

I noticed that there was a bunch of elm and oak down at the beach recently. I picked out the best piece of elm, and milled it up. November 1st, the day after halloween, it was a beautiful day down at the beach. Unfortunately for me the log had some bad cracks in it, so all I took was three slabs.


I had thought that I might like some blanks to make legs out of, and I had done a reasonable job of keeping my cuts parallel to the log's pith. (so the grain is straight) Plus I had milled to 3" thick, so I could barely lift these slabs, never mind trundle them across the beach to the van, load them, then unload them, stack them, blah blah blah. So I ripped them lengthwise.

I have been making progress on the desk. Will post shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment